Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Playing With Presentation: Aesthetics of Soap

I've been bored lately with my single colored soaps, and really wanted to play around and get creative. I'm still a little green when it comes to soapmaking, but I'm glad I decided to experiment! I did make a fresh batch of old favorites (mainly Calming Blend and Down By the Sea) that will ship out to Etsy customers in the mail tomorrow, but I'm really happy with a few of my brand new creations...

Frosted Carrot Cake.





Who doesn't love sweet, succulent, sugary, evil carrot cake? (Shawna, don't lick the screen! Yes, this is the same scent as that lotion I sent you). I'm really happy with the layers. At first I was worried it wasn't orange enough, but once I came back into the kitchen for another peek, I felt it looked more natural the way it turned out. After having my first batch's "frosting" begin to turn brown after a few days, I researched the issue and realized that I can buy a vanilla stabilizer that will keep scents with vanilla fragrance oils in them from changing color (and keep that nice, clean white frosting appearance).

Fruit Salad.

This pretty gradient-colored batch has the scent of a mix of oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, ripe melon, peaches, and kiwi. One whiff as they popped out of the mold made me ready for summer!








Cinnamon Buns.

This is a scent I tried once before and loved, but the presentation wasn't impressive whatsoever. I had a plain square bar of shea butter with brown pigment and I sprinkled some oatmeal in it. It smelled wonderful, and the oatmeal made a great exfoliant, but the soap was just ugly. I really wanted to be able to come up with something adorable for this soap, something unique and that my customers would love. I knew I wanted the look of gooey cream cheese frosting dribbling down. I did end up making a mess, but the end result was worth it!